USINDO SUMMER STUDIES
An intensive 10-week language & culture studies fellowship held in Yogyakarta and Jakarta, Indonesia for U.S. university students and recent graduates.
Improve your Bahasa Indonesia proficiency in a classroom setting.
Immerse yourself in the unique culture of Indonesia
Experience candid interaction with Indonesians outside of your classroom setting, while also exploring current issues in the community
Foster meaningful bonds with your Indonesian host families
Reflect upon your experiences to navigate the cultural differences and similarities in Indonesia
Engage with Indonesian government officials, NGOs, business leaders and experience its city tour
Applications and required documents as mentioned in the following 'Application Checklist' must be submitted through this link (https://bit.ly/USINDO_SS2023) no later than January 15, 2023, to be considered for the Summer 2023 intake.
- Personal Statement: 500-800 words personal statement describing your academic interests, career goals, interest in Indonesia, and how your participation in this program will enhance those interests and goals, as well as how your career might further the mission of the Society to promote more awareness of Indonesia in the United States, and why you chose to apply for the 2023 USINDO Summer Studies Program.
- Introductory Video (Optional) : No more than one minute long, the video will help us get to know you and your motivation better beyond your personal statement.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume :PDF Format; Not exceeding 10 pages
- Academic Transcript(s): Latest academic transcript from the educational institution where you are currently enrolled or recently graduated from. Unofficial copies are acceptable.
- Letter of Recommendation: One (1) recommendation letter is required containing the recommender's assessment of your character, potential, accomplishments, and why the recommender would recommend you to be chosen as a 2023 USINDO Summer Studies participant
- Tax Return (for scholarship applicants only): The electronic copy of the Tax Return should be from the most recent year filed and can be either the student’s or their parents’ (if the student is still a dependent).
Applicants are responsible for ensuring their applications are submitted on time. Only complete applications will be considered.
The program fee covers the following expenses of the program including return international and domestic air ticket, tuition, cultural program, field trips, experiential classroom visits, accommodation, two meals per day at the host family, visa, and travel insurance, as well as the post-program component in Jakarta. Each student pays a fee of $2,000 toward these program costs, and the USINDO Summer Studies Program provides the substantial remainder of these costs. All other incidentals are the responsibility of the student.
USINDO will purchase and arrange participants' roundtrip airfare and travel insurance and process participants' visas at the Embassy of Indonesia in Washington DC.
We are accepting applications all year long. Applications and required documents must be received by USINDO no later than January 15, 2023, to be considered for the Summer Studies 2023 program.
Applicants will be notified of the decisions in mid-February 2023.